Monday, December 31, 2012

A fresh start

Today is the last day of 2012.  I am sitting in a Holiday Inn in one of my favorite Texas cities, Austin.  Tonight I will ring in 2013 with my husband and daughter.  We have been in Texas for five months now.  Since getting here, I have been struggling with maintaining my healthy lifestyle.  I really have no one to blame, but myself.  I wish I could blame it on all the yummy Tex Mex and barbecue that I hadn't been able to enjoy for the last six years...but I can't.  I wish I could blame it on drinking too much Shiner Bock beer...but I can't.  I wish I could blame it on not having enough time to exercise...but I can't.  The cold, hard truth is that I let myself slip into some really horrendous eating habits when it comes to sweets.

I did well when we first arrived.  I gained a few pounds during the move, but nothing a good week of healthy eating and regular exercise couldn't take care of.  I was working out regularly with Insanity and running to prepare for a half-marathon in November.  The problem was that I wasn't eating healthy.  I thought I could allow myself a bite of candy or a cupcake with my daughter here and there.  Boy, was I wrong!  I can't just have a bite...I eat the whole bag...literally.  It's painful for me to admit publicly.  But I have to. 

After I ran the race in November, I gave myself a two week break from exercise.  Biggest mistake ever!!  Especially since it was right in the middle of Thanksgiving and then the Christmas holidays.  I avoided the scale, but knew I was in trouble when I had a had time getting my jeans on.  Plus, I just felt horrible.  No energy which of course made it harder to get myself moving again.  I finally got on the scale and there it was...a number I hadn't seen since the summer of 2011.  Ugh! 

So on December 19th I got my head straight and made a plan.  I didn't want to wait until 2013 to start.  I went back to a program that I really enjoyed the first time, P90X, but this time I am mixing in some Insanity workouts because they are too much fun!  I have gotten the workouts in daily.  However, my daily nutrition hasn't been where it needs to be.  That is the part that has become my New Year's Resolution.  I will get back on track and limit the sugar and processed junk! 

During this entire time, I've had people in my life that inspire me.  Some of them have been friends that have told me that my own weight loss journey has inspired them to get moving and get healthier.  Every day I see posts from my Team Beachbody coaches and some other friends that post regularly about nutrition and fitness.  I'm so thankful to have all of these inspirations in my life.  I haven't been doing what I know I need to do for the last several months.  However, every day is a new day and I know I can get back to where I want to be. 

Healthy Living Goals for 2013:

1. Eat healthy.  Don't allow things that will tempt me into the house.  My husband is my watchdog on this one.  :-)  Start cooking cleaner recipes.  Print out and save the neat ideas you see every day on Facebook and MyFitnessPal!!!

2. Keep moving.  Finish 90 days of P90X/Insanity hybrid.  Run at least one half-marathon and at least five 5k or 10k races.  Score a 300 on the April Army PT test.

3. Blog more to keep myself accountable and encourage others.  Post more on my Facebook fitness page. 

4.  Enjoy time with my family and friends.  Cherish every moment because life is shorter than we think.

5.  Work hard and do my best to encourage future leaders in the Army Veterinary Corps.

Happy New Year!  I wish everyone a happy and health 2013!!

No comments:

Post a Comment