It's President's Day and I'm sitting in a hotel in Oslo, Norway. I should be working out right now but the gym in our hotel doesn't open until 0700. Looks like I won't get my workout in before we head back to Germany this morning. Sure hope I am feeling motivated enough to do Chest & Back plus Ab Ripper X when I get home.
This last week was rough from a nutritional standpoint. I did my workout every day, but I really made some poor choices this weekend and even last week. And while I am being honest with myself, I have made some poor choices since November. At first I justified it because I had just met my original goal weight and it was the holiday season after all. Once we got back from our vacation, I did get more focused and lost the few pounds gained on the cruise. I thought that starting P90X and the nutrition plan that comes with it would be a smooth transition. Week one went well, but week two, not so much. I could blame it on the Valentine's Day candy that came home with Amelia. I could blame it on the long weekend trip. But those are just excuses. Everything I decide to do is my choice. It was my choice to eat the candy and my choice to order the desert and eat that entire entree last night instead of stopping when I felt full.
The reality is that changing a lifestyle isn't done overnight or really even in six months. I have lifelong bad habits when it comes to food choices. Over the last year, I have made huge improvements and I will keep getting better. This will be a lifestyle change. I am reading a book right now called "PUSH" by Chalene Johnson. It's set up as a 30 day guide to help you focus on your goals and priorities in life. It is meant to help with all aspects of life but since Chalene Johnson is a fitness trainer, of course there are some great diet and exercise tips. One of the things she talks about is 'having a diet' versus 'being on a diet'. We all have diets. It's what we eat every day. Food choices should not become an obsession. They should just become a natural part of your day and those choices should be healthy without thought. I think I have been 'on a diet' for too long. Yes, that diet helped me lose 20 pounds, but if I don't transition to 'having a diet' then that weight will be back before I know it.
So week 3 starts today and I am refocused on following my plan. I will remind myself of my goals. I will also remember that there was a time when I had to force myself to exercise. Now that is second nature. If I stay motivated and continue to work on it, making health food choices even when faced with my biggest temptations, will also become a habit.
Changing subjects to wrap up...this workout is great. I like the variety. Now if only my pull-up bar would work in my house. That will have to wait till Texas. I am using a heavy resistance band to simulate the pull-ups, but I have doubts this will actually build my strength and ability to do them. I tried to do one last night in the hotel gym and can't yet. I'm not surprised because I know I haven't really ever utilized the muscles required to do that exercise. By the end of 2012, I will be knocking them out though. Just wait and see!!
No comments:
Post a Comment