So far, so good. But I must admit that I think it would be virtually impossible for someone with a full-time job and family to stick to this plan 100%. Unless your job was in the fitness business. If that were the case, you wouldn't be worried about losing the last 10 to 20 stubborn pounds once and for all!!!
So I've made some modifications to the plan laid out in this book. First there's no way I have time to cook all the various meals that are laid out in the plan. I don't think I'd like some of them anyway. Also, I don't have time to search my neighborhood for a German store that sells some of the ingredients used. Maybe if I were back in Hawaii where healthy food stores are quite simple to find. There was one within walking distance of where we used to live. I'm not even sure I'd find a place like that around here and if I did my German language ability is so poor, I wouldn't be able to find what I was looking for in the first place.
So instead, I'm using about half of the recipes that are simple and look like something the rest of the family would eat. Then I'm just trying to focus on the healthy nutrient ratio that the book recommends for me as well as keep my calories between 1200 and 1400. There's a quiz that's supposed to help you figure out what type of metabolism you have. I think I'm a balanced oxidizer so I should be eating about 30% fat, 40% carbs, and 30% protein. I did stick to that this week. :-) Oh, and some of the recipes are pretty darn good. Last night we had Moroccan Chicken and the pancakes this morning were delicious!
As for the exercise routine, the plan calls for 4 to 5 days of intense circuit training each week with rest days scattered throughout. This week I had four days. I was able to do all of these workouts at home. I have a treadmill, body ball, resistance bands, and 5/10 pound dumbbells to work with. There are a couple exercises that do require machines, but this week there were only 3 of those so I just picked a different move that worked similar muscles. Next week I will need to drag my butt to the gym for two of the workouts.
The workouts consist of 5 circuits. It's recommended that you do two sets of each circuit and then finish up with 15 minutes of cardio. That should take about 60 minutes. There was no way I was making it through two sets this first week. These routines are tough. Lots of squats, lunges, and planks in combination with various upper body moves. Throw in a couple sprints or uphill jogs on the treadmill and I was pretty whipped. Just doing one set of each circuit with the 15 minutes of cardio at the end took me between 40 and 50 minutes. I did get faster on Day 4 and 5.
So today and tomorrow are supposed to be rest days. However, I do plan on doing a 3 to 4 mile run tomorrow. I have to make sure I'm maintaining my running ability for the Army PT test in April. This next week I'm going to attempt to do two sets of the circuits.
I wish I could say that the pounds are already flying off, but they aren't. Just one so far, but I know it's too early to expect much more. After all I am trying to get past the plateau that I've been stuck at for a couple years now. Going to take a lot longer to make a serious change.
It's Super Bowl Sunday! Gotta get ready to watch my Steelers!
No comments:
Post a Comment